The Old School was opened in 1898 and operated as the village primary school until the school was moved to it's current site. The building fell derelict and was scheduled to be demolished as part of the Millennium Village redevelopment. Due to the public outcry at the potential loss of the building a Section 106 Agreement was put in place and the former infant school was refurbished in the winter of 2003 at a cost of approx £750,000. The building was renovated by the English Partnerships as part of the community benefits package for the Millennium Community Development.
The Old School is now known as Vicars Court and is run by Allerton Bywater Community Partnership. Allerton Bywater Community Partnership was created to support the regeneration scheme, it is made up of a Board of Directors who meet with the Nursery Management Team and Local Council on the first Thursday of every month.
The site is the home of ABC Daycare and Ozone, who have 2 separate annex buildings in the grounds of Vicars Court, and provide excellent childcare to children from the age of 6 weeks old. The building is now a thriving part of our community, with regular groups such as Brownies, Rainbows, Woodcraft, Karate, Yoga meeting here. The building is also used by local schools and social care groups, including Brigshaw High School, to hold regular staff training and meetings.
We have a range of rooms available for hire including two meeting rooms (The Fenton and Carter rooms), a large conference room (The Lowther room) and a hall (The Silkstone Hall). The Lowther Room and The Silkstone Hall are also used for parties and have kitchen facilities available.